Here at SeeBeyond Medicine, we strive to provide our patients with the best possible guidance and support in their journey toward improving their quality of life using medical marijuana.
What is Medical Marijuana?
Making use of the Cannabis plant and its components, called cannabinoids, medical marijuana seeks to provide relief for an assortment of health issues. The leading cannabinoids incorporated for medicinal use are THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol).
The main difference between medical and recreational marijuana lies in the concentration of these cannabinoids and the intended purpose of use.
Qualifying Conditions for Medical Marijuana
A diverse array of chronic medical conditions can be addressed using medical marijuana. Some prevalent qualifying ailments include:
- Chronic pain: Individuals grappling with arthritis, migraines, and fibromyalgia may find relief through medical marijuana, which can mitigate pain.
- Crohn’s disease: Symptoms and inflammation associated with Crohn’s disease have shown improvement with the use of medical cannabis.
- Anxiety: For those living with anxiety disorders, medical marijuana can foster relaxation and diminish stress.
- Inflammatory bowel disease: Patients dealing with conditions such as ulcerative colitis can experience symptom management and reduced inflammation through the application of cannabis.
- Additional conditions: Medical marijuana’s utility extends to other disorders like epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease, among others.
Mastering Medical Marijuana: Exploring Treatment Alternatives, Dosage Strategies, and Caregiver Support
An array of medical marijuana therapy solutions is available to patients, featuring:
- Medical Cannabis products: To accommodate individual tastes and needs, cannabis products come in various formats, such as oils, edibles, tinctures, and topicals.
- Dosage and administration: A certified medical marijuana doctor will guide you in determining the proper dosage and method of administration tailored to your particular ailment.
- Role of caregivers: A caregiver can assist patients in administering medical marijuana and monitoring their progress.
Dr. Bernard Lee, MD: Championing Medical Marijuana and Comprehensive Patient Care
Dr. Bernard “Bernie” Lee, MD is a renowned medical marijuana physician and serves as the Associate Chief Medical Officer for New York State’s largest palliative care agency, Metropolitan Jewish Hospice, and Palliative Care.
Double board-certified in Family Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Dr. Lee fervently supports medical cannabis, devoting his efforts to enlightening doctors about its secure and efficient application for individuals with chronic and life-limiting conditions.
His dedication to Integrative Medicine and a holistic, patient-focused approach is accentuated by his status as a certified Medical Acupuncturist in New York State, positioning him at the forefront of enhancing patients’ well-being through all-encompassing treatment alternatives.
Exploring Medical Marijuana at SeeBeyond Medicine
Comprehensive Medical Assessment for Medical Marijuana Certification
At SeeBeyond Medicine, Dr. Bernie Lee provides a full medical assessment to evaluate if a patient qualifies for the New York State Medical Marijuana Program. This assessment helps determine if medical cannabis is an appropriate treatment option for patients suffering from various chronic conditions.
Counseling on Medical Cannabis Use and Risks
Before patients are certified for the program, Dr. Lee offers counseling on the risks and benefits of medical cannabis. This includes educating patients on how to use the medication effectively and safely, registering with the New York State Department of Health (NYS DOH), and managing potential side effects.
Electronic Certification and Initial Recommendation
After completing the assessment and counseling, Dr. Lee electronically certifies patients to the NYS DOH and provides an initial recommendation for the use of medical cannabis. This one-hour visit marks the beginning of a patient’s journey toward improved health and well-being with medical marijuana therapy.
Ongoing Monitoring and Adjustments
One month after starting the new medication, patients return for a follow-up visit to evaluate the medical efficacy of the treatment. Dr. Lee will adjust the dosing and address any side effects during this 30-minute visit. If required, a new recommendation will be sent to the NYS DOH and the patient’s designated cannabis dispensary.
Collaboration with Other Healthcare Professionals
Dr. Lee believes in working closely with a patient’s other physicians and the cannabis dispensary pharmacist to ensure a seamless, collaborative treatment plan. This approach helps optimize the efficacy and safety of medical cannabis therapy for each patient.
Regular Follow-ups and Adjustments
Patients with stable clinical status and dosing regimen are required to schedule follow-up visits at least every three months. Those with unstable dosing regimens may need more frequent follow-ups.
Phone visits may suffice for these 30-minute follow-up appointments depending on the patient’s clinical status. Dr. Lee will provide new recommendations to the NYS DOH and the dispensary as needed.
Empowering Patients with Knowledge
As medical cannabis becomes more widely accepted in New York, patients need to make informed choices about this newly approved treatment. Dr. Bernie Lee, an expert in medical marijuana, was among the first specialists certified by the NYS DOH to provide medical marijuana therapy.
His expertise and close working relationships with local dispensaries ensure that patients receive the best possible care while using medical cannabis to alleviate pain and suffering.
What to Expect During Your Medical Marijuana Consultation
Initial Visit (1 hour)
- Full medical assessment to evaluate for qualification of certification for NY State Medical Marijuana Program
- Counseling on risks and benefits of Medical Cannabis
- Counseling on how to use medication, how to register for NYS, and how to manage potential side effects
- Electronic Certification to NYS Department of Health and initial recommendation
1st Follow up visit (30 minutes)
- 1 month from start of new medication
- Evaluate medical efficacy, adjust dosing, and manage side effects
- New recommendation to NYS DOH and dispensary
- Ongoing collaboration with patient’s other physicians, as well as, cannabis dispensary pharmacist
- New recommendations if needed
Subsequent Follow Up Visit (30 minutes)
- Minimum every 3 months for stable clinical status and dosing regimen
- Not stable dosing regimen may need more frequent follow ups
- New recommendations if needed
Is medical marijuana safe to use?
Medical marijuana, when used under the guidance of a certified doctor and obtained from a reputable dispensary, is generally considered safe for treating various medical conditions.
Can I use medical marijuana as soon as I receive the certification from Dr. Lee?
Yes, once you receive your certification from Dr. Lee, you can register with the NYS DOH and visit a designated cannabis dispensary to obtain your medication. You should follow the dosing recommendations Dr. Lee and the dispensary pharmacist provided.
Will my insurance cover the cost of medical marijuana treatment with Dr. Lee?
Insurance coverage for medical marijuana treatment varies depending on the patient’s specific policy. It is important to check with your insurance provider to determine if they cover the cost of medical marijuana consultations and medication.
What if I experience side effects or issues with my medical marijuana treatment?
Dr. Lee closely monitors his patients’ progress and provides follow-up visits to address any side effects or concerns. If you experience any issues while using medical cannabis, it’s essential to schedule a follow-up appointment with Dr. Lee to discuss adjustments to your dosing regimen or explore alternative treatment options.
Can I grow my medical marijuana?
Laws regarding the home cultivation of medical marijuana vary by state. Some states allow patients to grow a limited number of plants for personal use, while others do not permit home cultivation. It is crucial to familiarize yourself with your state’s regulations before attempting to grow your medical marijuana.
Seek Expert Guidance on Medical Cannabis Treatment
Navigating the world of medical marijuana can be challenging without proper guidance and support. At SeeBeyond Medicine, Dr. Bernie Lee and our dedicated team stand beside you throughout your journey, guaranteeing that you experience personalized, top-notch care and treatment designed to cater to your unique requirements.
With Dr. Lee’s expertise and commitment to patient-centered care, you can confidently explore the benefits of medical marijuana as part of your comprehensive treatment plan.
Don’t let chronic pain or other qualifying conditions hold you back from living a fulfilling life. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Bernie Lee at SeeBeyond Medicine today to learn more about how medical marijuana therapy can improve your quality of life.
Contact our office at +1-914-722-9440 or visit our website, SeeBeyond™ Medicine to book an appointment and take the first step towards a healthier, happier you.